Monday, April 4, 2011

New job, new beginnings...new commute.

Friends, I am happy to report that as of March 7th, I am back among the employed. I have taken a position with DLA Piper, LLP in Washington, DC. I am happy to be working, and to have expendable income once again. However, as the title of this post would imply, with my new job comes a new commute. I am now officially one of those "commuters." I have a SmartTrip card, and I always have a pair of pumps in my bag. I drive to the Vienna metro station, hop on the Orange line, then the Red line, then finally after about an hour and 20 minutes door to door, I arrive at work. I've had to sort of monitor my natural tendencies on the metro as well (note-- no one wants to talk to me at 7:30 AM. No one. Also- no one says Bless you.) But now I feel accustomed to the cultural norms of mass transit, and so I sit quietly and stare sraight ahead-- and if someone sneezes....well I still say bless you. (Sorry I'm not sorry- not saying bless you is rude.)

The commute, you can imagine has been an adjustment. But it is not without its perks. I've always been a big reader-- but through grad school I became only a big purchaser of books. I have quite a collection built up of things I wanted to read, but would put up on the shelf-- "when I finish grad school I'll read this." Well, the time is now. My kindle is working overtime, and it's nice to sort of escape in the morning. When I finish a book, my first instinct is to share it with someone else, so I thought, well, why not include it in MLC? A sort of Metro Book Review. So stay tuned for my latest Metro Reads along with my wines (and sometimes whines) of choice......

2 comments:

  1. YES! This is great on so many levels. Employment, commuting, reading! Kindles! Book review sharing! Remember that one time....

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I've been wondering!! I really want a life update please!!

    ReplyDelete